Olympic Torch Relay & Vancouver
Early Tuesday morning, we joined hundreds of others who gathered at Peace Arch Park, where Washington becomes British Columbia. Stamping hands and feet in the pre-dawn cold, we awaited the arrival of the Olympic torch. The relay has traveled through Canada for over 100 days, but this was the only time the torch dipped into the United States.
Dignitaries included Washington governor Christine Gregoire and BC premier Gordon Campbell.
Alpine skier Phil Mahre brought gold home to Washington from Sarajevo in '84. I remember that particular Olympics so well, and Phil (and his twin brother Steve) are two reasons why. At the relay, he carried the torch across the border into the States and then circled back to pass the flame on to the next runner.
Naturally, I had to snag a photo with Phil.
After the relay we headed into Vancouver. I took a run along the water and was reminded of how much I love this city. It's an ideal setting for the Olympics ~ although, as evidenced by the bare mountains in the background, our very warm January didn't make this the ideal year.
Just beyond this, to the right of the picture, is the athletes' village.
Bridges Restaurant on Granville Island is the place to go and hang with the Swiss during the Olympics.
2 comments:
How fun, Colleen! I'm glad I got to live this moment vicariously through you. Sounds like a marvelous day.
What a wonderful day! I'm envious. :)
Post a Comment