Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Double Digits!


This young man (the one in the middle, that is) recently reached the double digit mark. Yep, he turned 10 years old on January 28. TEN!! How did this happen?! It's a fun ride, watching Luke grow up. In large part, the fun stems from Luke himself. He's enjoyed his childhood, reveling in the fun and goofiness and laughing at his own jokes.
When Per turned 12 recently, I thought, "Is he only 12?" That's because Per was born older. He's the first baby in history who didn't want to be a baby. People have often thought he was Jan's twin, a year or two older than his actual age. Luke, on the other hand, has been very much his age ~ and I don't mean that as a slight toward him (or toward Per; they're just two different characters).
Classic Luke: Yesterday we were meandering along in Vancouver, approaching a playground. From a distance, Luke spied a piece of equipment that interested him. "WHOA! Look at that!" he cried ~ and took off at top speed, racing ahead in excitement. Some boys his age might have lost their interest in playgrounds. Or, more likely, might fake disinterest. Some wouldn't show such enthusiasm. Not Luke. He revels in the little joys in life and that's one thing I hope he never outgrows.

4 comments:

Cutzi said...

I love reading about all your insights into your boys' personalities.

Now, as I read this, I realize I have noticed these qualities in Luke as well. He always has a smile on his face and is always happy to talk to and interact with my little ones - doesn't seem to have a bit of pretension or concern to act as something he's not (which I notice a lot of boys his age start to do around that age).

You are blessed to be mama to such a fine, fun group of boys!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

We enjoy all your boys - each unique personality.

Luke - we appreciate your bubbly joy. Thanks for including Tate in your birthday.

Leslie said...

I DO know why Gabe enjoys Luke so much - they are very much alike. They revel in their boyness and have such fun together! I suspect they will grow up to be big boys who like to play.

heather said...

I can't believe luke is ten,
I am one of his biggest fans.

he is probably the only boy who will ever skip with me down newbury street.