As I've mentioned before, I love going to the ocean and walking the footsteps of Lewis & Clark and the Corps of Discovery. While the winter they spent at the mouth of the Columbia River was fairly miserable, those of us who now visit in good weather and take comfortable shelter in bad, can thoroughly appreciate the scenic beauty and history of this little corner of the world. But upon arriving at the edge of the continent, the first order of business is to leap for joy, chase waves, and attempt to build castles faster than waves wash them away. I adore these pictures of Kai running into and away from the waves. Sheer delight. Contrasting images: kiteboarding around the remains of the Peter Iredale, a ship that ran ashore in 1906. This stretch of coast is known as the Graveyard of the Pacific.The Lightship Columbia used to serve as a floating lighthouse off the coast. No visit to Astoria (Oregon) is complete with a visit to the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Just the right size to offer up plenty of great exhibits without being overwhelming.
1 comment:
Gorgeous photos, Colleen. I love the first two! :) I so need to make it up there with my boys.
Post a Comment