Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Ghost of Old Rome

Both times I've been to the Colosseum, I've had to distance myself from the experience, to an extent. Naturally, the remains are impressive from an architectural and historical perspective, but it doesn't bear thinking about events that took place here.
pure Roman Forum
Roman Forum, time-warp version

Photo by Luke. Note how he captures not necessarily the significant structure in the background (that'd be the Pantheon); rather, the beverage he most enjoyed during his Euro travels: Fanta. Also note the gaggle of people in the background. Enlarge the picture and take a good look at the group. ACK!!!! Why can't they more subtle, like those of us who just sit sipping wine with our Rick Steves Rome guide book in plain view? Sheesh!


2 comments:

Cutzi said...

I like the look on the guy's face to the left of Per. You can always tell that look - it's the "I'm totally into you" look.

Kate said...

These are such wonderful memories, Colleen!! Wow, there is just so much rich history there - both terrifying and wonderful. Having never been to the Colosseum, I cannot tell you how I will really feel, but the memory of our beloved martyred brothers and sisters is vivid still.

Thanks for these photos.
Warmly,
Kate