Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One Decade

December 18, 1997 brought crisp air, clear skies, and the gift of a second son to our family. Like most of my boys, he didn't arrive when expected, or as expected. As Hans and I drove to the hospital, I wondered aloud whether I could possibly love another child as much as I did our first. Wondered, too, what we'd name this new soul. He started out as Mats and became Per at a mere two hours old when the recovery room nurses sounded less than enthusiastic about my first choice. Per Marten has blessed our lives for ten years now. He reveled in birthday gifts that appealed to his passion: goalie Jersey, goalie pants, and a FC Barcelona ball.
I love this photo, taken in August, because it so perfectly captures Per's nature.

4 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Happy Birthday, Per!

heather said...

Happy birthday Per! your making me feel old. how did you get to be 10 so fast you were just a baby a few years ago.
wow.

Heidi said...

I'm glad you named him Per. That's a cool name! :)

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday Per! He does look very pleased with those b'day gifts! I *love* that second shot ~ so much personality and natural beauty to boot.