Sunday, January 28, 2007

Happy Birthday, Luke!

Luke is in many ways a quintessential middle child. He's flexible, sweet-natured, sensitive, and genuine. His was my most peaceful birth; still a cesarean, but the only one without any accompanying medical emergencies. He's by far the most musical of the boys, ever and always drumming rhythms, conducting unheard (to the rest of us) symphonies, unabashedly singing out loud and clear in church. My favorite Luke story occurred last year while we were skiing. I went ahead a bit and then stopped at a crest to wait for him. After a minute or two, I heard in the distance a lilting song: "Seventy-two, seventy three, seventy-four..." and he swept past me, grinning from ear to ear, "...seventy-five, seventy-six...". No particular reason he was singing numbers while skiing. Just being himself, enjoying life. Happy 7 years old, Lukie-Lou!

9 comments:

Dancingirl said...

Sniff, sniff. Happy Birthday, Luke! What a special boy. Love both pictures. It's so great to be able to share these snatches of moments.

Katrina said...

Great pictures! And I love your description of the middle child -- flexible, sweet-natured, sensitive, and genuine. Your Luke is the middle of five boys. I am the middle of five girls. :)

LauraLiz said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute! Nice photo, too (and I love the one of you two together). Happy Birthday, Luke!

Dalissa 365 said...

What a sweetie pie! I love the skiing story.

So, what's in the package?

SUSAN said...

I found your twin, Colleen. Go here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3DClaudia%2520Michelsen%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501%26toggle%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=200&h=200&imgurl=www.defd.de%2FS_Specials%2Fmichelsen0805%2Fkvschop06905.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.defd.de%2FS_Specials%2Fmichelsen0805%2Fmichelsen0805.htm&size=8.1kB&name=kvschop06905.jpg&p=Claudia+Michelsen&type=jpeg&no=7&tt=51&oid=e1fdb5b4bf8b0278&ei=UTF-
Her name is Claudia Michelsen and she is a German actress. I watched her in "The Tunnel"(english subtitles) last night and kept thinking of you.

Sweet Luke! I love y'alls picture together.

Sandie said...

He really looks a lot like his dad in this picture! I hope you guys had a great day.

Unknown said...

Sweet day and pics.

Sandie said...

The first time I logged on I only saw the top pic. This time I saw both, in the picture of the two of you he really has your eyes. The one of the two of you is very sweet.

Jess said...

That's a wonderful picture of the two of you. He sounds like fun to be around :)