Monday, July 23, 2012

Hiking Homeward

 There are no shortage of hiking trails in Switzerland.  But while the scenery shares much in common with that of the Pacific Northwest, the hiking itself is quite different.  
 It's a communal act in Switzerland, hiking.  Wandering through shared property.
 Mingling among grazing animals and chatting with their caretakers.
 And always, always finding a spot along the way to gain respite, take a drink, share a plate, exchange a word.  
  
 Ever present during our travels, Cactus appreciated the fresh Swiss air.
 As our vacation drew to a close, we returned to Rossalp ~ a spot worth sharing again.
  We did a bit of hiking with Leo & Beni, and Chregi the alpler (and social worker!). 

 Breathing in the mountain air...
 ...and drifting the waters, our vacation drew to a close.
Souviners...a Playmobil figure purchased at a Spanish kiosk.  A Fanta can creation from a homeless man in Barcelona.
Edelweiss flowers carved by a man encountered on an Alpine hike.  A crocheted bunny gifted to me by a Swiss nun.
Small mementos, big monuments, good memories.  Our European adventures draw to a close ~ until next time!

7 comments:

BETHANY said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to do all these vacation posts. I've loved reading them!

Julie said...

Just gorgeous!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh Colleen, I don't know which part of your vacation looks the most wonderful, but thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I bet your boys will be talking about these family trips all their lives.

Julie

M. Tamminga (@oneaprilday) said...

I love these mountain/hiking pictures. The Swiss landscape is as beautifully idyllic as one imagines - even more!

LauraLiz said...

I'm reading all these backwards, so beginning with the beautiful end! I love the photo of everyone on the bench!

TiaLevings said...

Hi! Dali posted a link to her blog on a driving thread on facebook, which I followed and then saw you in the comments. Often think of you and wonder how you are; your trip looks absolutely beautiful! I've been the PNW twice this year; once to nw Oregon for my honeymoon and this summer in Seattle and across the whole state to ID for a vacation. Wondered many times if we were close to your farm! Blessings to you and yours. ~Tia (different last name, same redhead, happier than when you last knew me LOL)

dereksurfs said...

Hi Colleen,

I am wondering how your year with Rainbow went. I know you had a hard time obtaining the curriculum in time. But I was wondering how things have gone since?

Thanks,

Derek

Derek