Friday, July 30, 2010

Up the coast.

It was difficult to push on from the Tahoe area; there was a sense of so much left to see and do. But push on we did, heading over toward the California coast. We spent a night in Ukiah (just up the road from the more well-known wine country) where we savored good beer and food amidst an eclectic group of townspeople. Wound about the oak-covered hillsides the next day before reaching the ocean, where cold fog greeted us. Definitely not my preferred vacation weather, especially after enduring a bland, gloomy spring that stretched well into summer. The bay below Mendocino at mid-day. I wasn't kidding about the fog.
Doesn't this plaza in the northern coastal California town of Arcata look pleasant? Seems like a gathering place for locals and tourists alike. A spot to enjoy weekly music, festivals, and such. One only needs to spend a night at the historic Hotel Arcata, in a room overlooking the plaza, to experience the reality: young vagrants boozing up ~ and exercising their vocal capacity in the process ~ 'til all hours of the night; a row of reeking bars open 'round the clock; and a token squad car that circles the plaza hour after hour, the officer within showing no interest whatsoever in enforcing noise ordinances. Such a shame. It could have much to offer ~ if it wasn't bathed in fog half the day and the July high crept past 60, that is. Surely this is captured within the pages of a volume dedicated to roadside American kitsch.

The Oregun dunes are stunning ~ even if the ocean in the distance is obscured by fog.
Inland again to the warmer climes of the Willamette Valley, where I ran the trails in Eugene ~ "Track Town, USA".
Home again, home again, jiggety jig. The end of the rainbow.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Good grief, you did pass us up!!! That's okay, you were probably better off without me, too. I'm cranky and my house is a freakish disaster....

Carol Ann Weaver said...

You were in Eugene! Wow! So close!

Dalissa 365 said...

There you are! For some reason, the Colleen I am linked to on my 365 is not you and someone I don't know, instead. I hope you decided to start updating more frequently since I have decided to do so. Happy New Year!

RedGypsie said...

Been thinking about you lately. Found some "other" Colleen on your old blog and hailed Dalissa to see if she knew what was up. I've got new internet digs these days: tiajulianna.blogspot.com and a VERY different life. Maybe we can catch up sometime. Hope you are doing well. -Tia