Monday, July 5, 2010

Fifteen years + one month

In the midst of my blogus interruptus, I neglected to highlight this momentous event. As of June 6, 2010, I am the mother of a 15 year old boy ~ er, young man. This was the baby who so captivated me that I could not stop kissing his soft little head. The little guy with whom I shared favorite walks and stacks and stacks of picture books, hour upon hour. This is the person who created a family. Who turned me ~ ME?! ~ into a mother. Amazing what a life can do. And amazing how lives change along the way.

I can not tell a lie: this season is hard. The physically-demanding days of changing diapers and humping carseats fade, but in their place come emotional challenges of the next era. A mother is so intertwined with her children. They're part of us. It's good and right and expected to see them grow up and away ~ but oh! the headache and heartache. It's a journey, all right! Newly-minted 15 year old Jan Christian....sporting his Swiss jersey and flanked by his fellow World Cup soccer fanatics.

3 comments:

Cutzi said...

I love that second pic of you guys. All of it - especially the little faces peeping out from behind.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

HA! Cutzi beat me to it! Love the little faces peeking out.

And Jan... quite the young man these days :D

Happy fifteenth to you!

Julie

Heidi said...

Nice to see you back. :) And belated birthday greetings to Jan. 15. Whew!!!