Thursday, December 3, 2009

A tribute of sorts to my brother, the cop.


How much do I love my brother, Kevin? Enough to share, for the second time, this photo of the two of us ~ despite my vanity. On this day, we'd run a race together ~ which on my part, at least, is saying a lot since I typically avoid running with other people. But it felt comfortable with Kevin. I only wish that I didn't look, in this picture, like a 50 year old woman with a fake tan. After all, I'm only (?!) 40 and my aged skin is a result of many years of devoted sun worship, thankyouverymuch!

But I digress.

After spending ten years as a military policeman in the Air Force, Kevin moved on to work as a sheriff's deputy and police officer, and he excels at his work.

I don't really see Kevin a great deal, or talk to him very often, although he lives within a few hours' drive. But last Friday and Saturday, after spending Thanksgiving at our parents' home, I was able to hang with him. And then on Sunday, I took my boys to the church I attended as a teen. Advent is upon us, and the service revolved around that theme: Looking toward what is to come. Knowing that the world as we know it is not the be-all, end-all. Thank God for that.

While we were worshipping, four police officers were gunned down nearby as they had their pre-shift morning coffee. Four of Kevin's colleagues. Four people who did their work, as Kevin does his, knowing that there's no such thing as a routine call. Or a routine cup of coffee, apparently.

Thanks for your service, Kevin. I'm proud of you. I love you.


2 comments:

Cutzi said...

This was so touching Colleen. Thank you for sharing it.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

We take our daily lives for granted, don't we?

Cheers to Kevin and his coworkers,

Julie