Saturday, June 21, 2008

Celebrating our first teen (June 7)

Ta da! Introducing Jan Christian, newly minted teenager! Part of his birthday festivities included a few days spent in Victoria, Canada. It's one of our favorite destinations and home to the Royal B.C. Museum, which Jan wanted to visit again. We were also able to again hook up with Adrian, who had been exploring the West Coast of Vancouver Island, before he headed back to Switzerland. Despite much-cooler-than-average weather, we enjoyed our excursion. I made a special point of remembering my camera...only to discover I'd left the battery at home.

Can this really be the thirteenth time I've presented Jan with his traditional German Chocolate Cake? What a swift journey! I stand in awe of the young man he's becoming...yet yearn to have just one hour more with him as a baby. One more walk along the Swiss footpaths, pushing him in his kinderwagen. One more chance to kiss his sweet baby cheeks. Once more....
Jan's brothers gave him more Asterix books for his collection.
Oma & Opa came up to celebrate with us. I virtually never saw any grandparents when I was a child. I love watching and listening to the interactions between my boys and my parents.

5 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Happy Birthday, Jan!

Carrie said...

Boy that cake looks yum!! It's one of my favorites, but it's been years since I had a "real" one.

Welcome to the Parents of teens club! It's a roller-coaster ride!

Unknown said...

I'm quickly approaching that "living with teen" stage in about six months. I'm excited and scared to death all at the same time. Because, IT will be a teen GIRL.

:-o

Cheers,
Jenny

SUSAN said...

Here You Go The teenage years are an adventure and I know you love adventure. :-) Happy BDAY to Jan!

Love,
Susan

Crissy said...

Happy birthday wishes to you, Jan!