Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ordinary Miracle

Five heifer calves have been born here so far today. I witnessed the first delivery from my bedroom window this morning, as the sun rose beyond Mount Baker. A short time later, I went out to offer support to Hans as he labored, literally, alongside this cow. Her calf was breech and we weren't certain we'd be able to deliver it on our own.
Eventually he got a hold of the two rear legs...
...and was able to pull out the heifer.
My heart swelled to see mother and daughter meet for the first time.
None of us look our best upon leaving the womb; a few hours make all the difference.
"It seems so exceptional, that things just work out after all. It's just another ordinary miracle today."

15 comments:

Nan said...

Colleen! Those are just awesome! My son just said, "Oh Mom! I wish I could visit that farm!"

I just loved these pictures. Especially the second one of mom and baby (I think it was the second anyways...) We just finished watching the whole first season of the BBC t.v. series (1970's/80's) of James Herriot's "All Creatures Great and Small."

Thanks for posting these!

Sandy said...

Excellent series! Thanks for sharing the miracle of birth with us. All these shots are amazing but the last one is my favorite.

Pensguys said...

Awwww.....so glad it had a happy ending. Nothing ordinary there. :)

heather said...

I am so happy for your little breech calf and mother, i have a special place in my heart for all things breech and their mothers. as this was what i subjected my own mother too. and after much tugging, the docter decided i wasn't comeing out that way and my mom had to have an emergency c section.

Sandie said...

WOW! That is why I want to have more of a farm. I love the births! I am working on getting a stud for my nannies, so that I will have babies in the spring.

LauraLiz said...

And then comes the miracle of standing up and walking (SO fun to watch!) and then the amazing instinct to find Mom and start nursing. That always just blows my mind.

carrie said...

This brings back some special memories, only with horses not cows. I was able to watch my mare during two deliveries. She did need help two other times, and thankfully there was someone with her each time. Once it was my Mom, who had never had one day of experience with that sort of thing! (And she was only 5'2" and 110 lbs!) Somehow she managed to help pull the foal out and then went to call the vet. (Way before cell phones!)

Thanks so much for these wonderful photos!

Katrina said...

Thanks for that wonderful slice of life! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my land! I so didn't expect this!! Your family is getting quite the education. Wonderful

Cutzi said...

Amazing!! I loved these pictures Colleen. And I couldn't help but think to myself what a wonderful husband and a wonderful life you have out there on that farm. Pretty cool.

Cutzi said...

And... we all got a good laugh as Hans explained why he was late to church Sunday night. If he didn't tell you you'll have to ask him - he exaggerated just a tiny bit.

Kate said...

These are beautiful pictures, Colleen! Thank you so much for sharing them. :+)

Warmly,
Kate

SUSAN said...

OH MY GOSH...Colleen! Thank you for sharing this miracle. How awesome to record the birth, your husband's helping the mother, the whole thing is simply gorgeous and makes me feel like crying.

Susan

MaryD said...

These are wonderful. I especially love the shot of the GORGEOUS calf a few hours after!!

Dalissa 365 said...

beautiful set! miss you!