Thursday, July 19, 2012

To the West

 Our second week, we headed toward the western (French-speaking) region of Switzerland to visit a favorite destination of mine, the home of Hans's aunt Doris, in Lausanne.  We made two enjoyable side trips along the way.  First, I wanted to visit Murten, a village near Bern with particular historical and architectural interest.  Perfectly preserved medieval ramparts ring the old town where, in 1476, the Bernese army staved off the attacking Burgundians.  Scrambling about the ramparts made for an ideal hour or two.
 I wanted more time to stroll this picturesque town.
 I heart indy theaters.  Especially when they're tucked away in old fire houses like this.

 Just beyond Murten, we stopped again in the near-empty village of Avenches.  One doesn't expect to find Roman ruins in Switzerland, but this was the original site of a Celtic settlement, followed by what was then known as "Aventicum", a prosperous and significant Roman town of 20,000 inhabitants.  Thus, the amphitheater above...
 ...the remaining evidence of the wall that ringed Aventicum...
 ....and the theater ruins.  The remains here go largely unnoticed amidst the agricultural fields.  Particularly given that so few people were in sight, there was an almost eerie feel as we poked about.  This is another spot where I gladly would have spent more time...but then, I felt that way about many places on our whirlwind Euro road trip.  
 We then pressed on, past the vineyards sloping down toward Lake Geneva... 
 ...to the ever-welcoming home of Doris & Waldemar.  
 I absolutely love this neighborhood of Ouchy, situated as it is overlooking the lake and filled with houses that seem anything but crowded.  Some how the natural layout of the land and juxtaposition of the homes, along with the profusion of flowers and greenery, transports you to a world of your own. 
 Equally transporting is the outdoor eating area.  How incredible is this?  
 Karin, Hans's cousin who once visited us along with her mother (Doris), was on hand as well.  Her two little ones are beautiful and such fun.
 So relaxing here.
The following day we went into Lausanne, where I always love to run along the quay.  
After our visit four years, I praised the Olympic Museum, but it's currently undergoing renovations and closed to the public.  I appreciated the free alternative of visiting some of the exhibits on display in this lakeside boat.  Definitely put me in the mood for London 2012!  

1 comment:

BETHANY said...

That outdoor eating area is amazing!