Thursday, July 19, 2012

Daytripping

 One of my favorite days in Switzerland was spent at the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum, a place I've long wanted to visit and finally made a priority.  Hans had only been there once, on a school field trip some 30+ years ago.  For that matter, most of our Swiss friends and family either haven't been at all (and have no interest in going) or think of it merely in terms of a school outing.  This is something one comes across often in Europe ~ history taken for granted.  But for history buffs like us, it was right up our alley.  Think of it:  More than a hundred traditional buildings, transported from all over the country and situated throughout acres of utterly lovely, woodsy splendor.  Gardens, crafts, animals...the place is a treasure trove of information, pleasing to all the senses.  I couldn't get enough of it!  It's so large as to easily fill one day's outing, and even at that, we were the last people there and left wanting for more.  


 Two days after our excursion to Ballenberg, we took another day-trip, this time heading toward Urnerboden and the Klausenpass.  This is an area that Hans, as a child, went to with his father to buy cows, and he was eager to share it with our own boys now.  Along the way, we drove through Altdorf and as I recently read The Apple and the Arrow aloud to Rafe and Kai, we stopped to pay tribute to the William Tell statue.  
 The Alpine drive up to Klausenpass is heart-stopping in more ways than one.  Yes, the views are awe-inspiring.  But what really takes one's breath away is the sheer audacity of anyone daring to drive this road.   I lost track of the number of times I screamed in terror as we flung around a curve and faced another car ~ or worse, a motorcycle ~ head on.  
 Once up and over the pass, the road becomes more manageable, and we paused for a break so I could reacquaint myself with breathing normally.  
 Does it get any more picture postcard than this?
 Or this?
 Okay, not a postcard, but a good father-son photo op.
 We ended our driving circuit at Sepp & Margrit's place, an uncle & aunt who have visited us several times.  They're always comfortable to be with, and eating dinner with them at their home overlooking Lake Zug made for a relaxing evening.
Good memories of a good day.

3 comments:

BETHANY said...

Gorgeous! You *and* the scenery. ;)

That open air museum looks amazing!

Heidi said...

I'll just ditto. Gorgeous, gorgeous, and amazing. :)

M. Tamminga (@oneaprilday) said...

So many stunning pics - and that last pic of you and Hans . . . you are both so beautiful!