Sunday, August 14, 2011

Canyonlands

Canyonlands National Park has three distinct areas, one of which, the Island in the Sky mesa, is an easy drive from Moab. As close as it is to Arches, the terrain here has its own identity. You can get a good feel for Island in the Sky and enjoy some fantastic, short hikes even if your visit is confined to one day ~ or even part of one day. Both parks, by the way, were far from crowded. Canyonlands in particular was relatively empty. Aside from a brief encounter with one tour bus group, we nearly had the place to ourselves.
I'm surprised I look so relaxed, given that there's a sheer drop behind us.
I could have spent hours at Mesa Arch, watching this thunderstorm move in. The sun shining on the rock, with the darkening sky and flashes of lightning in behind it was nothing short of awesome.
Rafe noticed this sedum and wanted to capture it in a picture. I think he did a nice job!
After watching numerous Japanese tourists hiking to Delicate Arch with umbrellas in hand, I adopted the idea for fair-skinned Luke.
Upheaval Dome, three miles wide, may be the result of an impact crater. We'll never know.
It's a small world...these Swiss German tourists are from a village just a few miles beyond Hans's home town.
Mom & Rafe, photo by Kai.
He's cute. Very cute.
Big bro and little bros.
I ran & biked along a canyon next to the Colorado River. Sadly, I didn't have my camera on hand for the rainbow at sunrise. Still a great memory, though.

1 comment:

LauraLiz said...

And so the travel bug bites again....