Public Transportation
Last week the boys and I enjoyed an excursion to Seattle via the train. Much as I love the idea of train travel, this was our first local Amtrak experience since tickets are generally pricey. I was motivated by a discounted rate available with a via a homeschooling group. Yep, you heard me right. A homeschooling group. I, the quintessential non-joiner, went on an outing with fellow homeschoolers for the first time in nine years at this gig. I kept to myself as much as possible, though, and once we were in Seattle, people went their separate ways. Nothing against other homeschoolers. Or people in general. But the idea of group field trips gives me the willies. Whereas the idea of cozying up to his mother for a photo gives Jan the willies. "Come to Mama, Mr. Almost-Fourteen Year Old!"
Once in Seattle, we took the bus to a much-loved destination, the Museum of Flight. I never tire of this place.
Yes, boys, your mother wants to once again take a group picture in this very spot. Just like last time we were here.
As yet further proof of my multiple personalities, I'm a recovering air show groupie. Is this thing a beauty or what?! One almost forgets that air warfare began right on the heels of the Wright brothers' successful flight.
Until sobering reminders such as this quote from a WWI British flying ace who lived to the ripe old age of 21: "Won't it be nice when all this beastly killing is over, and we can enjoy ourselves and not hurt anyone? I hate this game..."
I feel downright patriotic when I behold Air Force One. This one dates back to 1959.
Just think. Ike, Jack Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Kissinger, Khruschev....They all used the toilet on this very plane.
4 comments:
We just visited Evergreen Aviation Museum, but only had time (with classes and presentations) to peruse the space side of things. I can't wait to make it back and see the Spruce Goose and other aviation exhibits! My Dad has a membership there. He is an aviation/WWII fanatic.
How was the train ride (minus the other people :))? We've been wanting to do that with our boys... some day.
Wow, that looks like fun.
And haven't the boys grown since the last time!
I don't dare tell the boys you guys went on the train. They'll be jealous - they love that trip.
Maybe next time...
I wonder if they pooped in it....
Great series of shots. Glad to see you posting again - I read it all, just rarely have time to comment like I'd like to. Miss you!
Post a Comment