Postcards
I didn't take a great many photos on our trip, perhaps because for the most part, these are places that are relatively familiar to us. But walking along the lake in Luzern with Hans, his parents, and the boys, I was reminded what a difference flowers make in daily life. Of the abundance of flowers in Europe: overflowing window boxes, gracing gardens, turning even a mundane little dock into something special. Of course, having Luzern's old town as a backdrop helps, too. And in the distance, on the hill, is the chateau where we had our dinner party, a few days after our slope-side marriage.
A classic portrait of Switzerland that begged to be captured "on film". This is just outside a restaurant we go to with Hans's parents. Driving there makes me feel Very Unwell ~ something about endlessly winding, narrow roads. I remind myself, while feeling Very Unwell, that the destination is utterly unique and, to that end, worthwhile. The "road" doubles as a hiking path. The restaurant looks much the same as this hut ~ two tiny rooms, no windows, a ceiling well-suited for people under the age of, say, eleven. (And once again, note the flowers.)Don't worry about what to order here, as there's no menu. You go for the alplermagron. You don't like alplermagron? Tough. Fortunately, I do like it, very much. It's a popular regional dish that, in truth, is really just glorified mac-n-cheese. Mac-n-cheese with potatoes and onions ~ and really wonderful cheese. Wonderful cheese makes all the difference. Should you find yourself in central Switzerland and someone can manage to give you directions to this remote locale; should you remember to call ahead and make sure the owner is actually there, making alplermagron that day...By all means, go, feast on the food; take in the view of the rather ominous mountains; and listen to the call, each evening, of the alphorn bringing home the cows.
1 comment:
I enjoyed the photos, but enjoyed even more your comments! Just fyi, I did scroll down and go in chronological order. :o Your travelogue cheered me up so much I actually laughed out loud. And I'd love to try alplermagron! And I absolutely agree with you that flowers and good cheese make all the difference!
Thanks for the card and the love it expresses. I could use that hug! The going is hard and slow right now and I'm tired and Jerry is tired and in pain, but we're trying to take it a day at a time (sometimes a minute at a time). He's working so hard to get his strength back.
Post a Comment