Hans and I spent an overnight respite here at The Willows Inn on Lummi Island. Lummi is a small, sleepy island, easily reached via a ten minute ferry crossing but seemingly a world away. You can while away hours just sitting on the deck of the inn.
The Willows is part of the Slow Food movement, serving all manner of local fare. Spot prawns served on Sunday evenings draw crowds all summer long. The vegetables are fresh from the garden, above.
We love Riley and Judy, the owners of the inn. Riley's an idea guy who loves to get his hands dirty. He and Hans spent more time talking about chicken butchering than I ever thought possible. Don't even ask how one actually puts that device above to work.
Riley's among the handful of fishermen who catch via the ancient Native American practice of reefnetting. Once you've had wild reefnet salmon caught just off Lummi, everything else will pale in comparison. This is food the way it's meant to be!
Sounds like a wonderful vacation spot! There's a place about an hour from me, towards Asheville, that grows their own food....it's one of my favorite restaurants.
How beautiful! I've often thought of staying there. Justin and I rode around Lummi Island the day we got engaged. Remind me sometime to tell you of the cabin we stayed in on our first anniversary that had a composting toilet in the bedroom. Hopefully by now we've worked our way up to something a little fancier like the Willows. ;-)
I think we might just have to have a little getaway there when we move back- looks like a dream. The food sounds amazing. Oh yes, and speaking of food, I posted that cake recipe. It seems quite simple and if it tastes like it does when Maz makes it, it's great!
4 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful vacation spot! There's a place about an hour from me, towards Asheville, that grows their own food....it's one of my favorite restaurants.
How beautiful! I've often thought of staying there. Justin and I rode around Lummi Island the day we got engaged. Remind me sometime to tell you of the cabin we stayed in on our first anniversary that had a composting toilet in the bedroom. Hopefully by now we've worked our way up to something a little fancier like the Willows. ;-)
You find the most interesting inns and vacations spots. Beautiful!
Susan
I think we might just have to have a little getaway there when we move back- looks like a dream. The food sounds amazing. Oh yes, and speaking of food, I posted that cake recipe. It seems quite simple and if it tastes like it does when Maz makes it, it's great!
Post a Comment