Wednesday, July 9, 2008

This Old House

My house. It has what real estate agents refer to as "charm" and "character". It's warm and inviting, but has a myriad of issues not noticeable to the casual visitor. Big stuff like plumbing, foundation, insulation. Stuff that needs attention. Stuff that, like Scarlett, I tell myself I'll think about...tomorrow.

The front living room is my haven. I was a bit hesitant about going with these wall colors, but I think they look great. To the right there's a big picture window that looks past the farm across the street to the Canadian coastal range in the distance. A window that, like many in this house, doesn't open. But let's not talk about that, shall we? : )
After twelve years, I've still not come up with a better name for this area than "The Wood Stove Room". Note the door on the right. It opens directly into the bathroom. Nothing says "Welcome!" to a guest more than sitting on the throne with only a flimsy plywood door between you and your hosts.
This IKEA table has served us well over the years. The only table in the house, it's the gathering place for all meals (other than those consumed outdoors) and doubles as the school table. I like to think of the surface as "well loved".
There's something to be said for a postage stamp-sized kitchen. I can use a hand mixer, attend to the stove, take something out of the fridge, and grab the dishrag from the sink all without taking so much as a step. Believe it or not, these 60s-era cupboards actually looked better when offset by the avocado fridge that died a number of years back. This space is smack dab in the center of the house, which is why it has no windows. Very odd layout. But it does mean I'm central to all activity while in there. The greatest thing about my kitchen is that it provides us with clean, running water, which is not to be taken for granted in this world.
Bedrooms are for beds. Which is good, because that's just about all that fits in ours.
Sure, these bathrooms barely allow enough room for turning around! The better to keep you thinking thin! There used to be gold and cream striped wallpaper in the bath above. The walls are in horrid condition, but I can tolerate bad, white walls better than I can walls covered in regal gold stripes.

The bath below, on the other hand, sports a Brady Bunch theme. In fact, I often find myself crying, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" while standing in front of the mustard sink.
This ends today's home tour. I think I'll take my blog on a walk around the farm in the next few days.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a wonderful home, and you bathroom is massive compared to mine. I should post it! LOL

Cheers,
Jenny

Heidi said...

Colleen, I think your home is lovely. Not only that, but it shows that you have put effort into making it attractive, clean, and organized. Living in a small space requires one to make the most of every area. I think that is a good thing! I would not like to have a huge house where the family just 'disappeared.'

I know what it is like to live in a home with less than perfect things like plumbing and such. :) We have one bathroom. I hate having one bathroom. We have bedrooms that barely fit beds. We have very little closet space. We have no dining room, only a kitchen 'nook.' No family room... At least we aren't able to accumulate as much junk and I have less area to clean, LOL.

I've seen pictures of your garden and farm area. Surely that makes up (in huge degrees) for a less than 'perfect' home.

~Heidi @ Mt. Hope

Jenni said...

I LOVE that green on your walls! It's one of my favorite colors and one I wear often. It looks absolutely stunning paired with the red, too. Thank you for inviting us into your home. I know you said it doesn't say a lot about you, but I think even color and the lack of knick knacks says something about you.

Sandie said...

I love this tour of your house and I can't wait to see the walk around the farm

Cutzi said...

Great to read some fun, new posts from you Colleen!! I loved all of them... especially your house tour because..ah, well... it reminds me so much of home. Gotta love the character.

LauraLiz said...

I'd seen glimpses of the house before, but it was fun to take the Grand Tour! I am eagerly awaiting the tour of the farm!

If I ever, ever get my walls painted the color I want (if I ever, ever figure that out) and finish getting things unpacked and put up even to a reasonable degree, and get things hung on the wall---I may post a tour of my new home! (The yard sure wouldn't take long. :-) )

Anonymous said...

I would trade my house for yours in a second. It's lovely.

Do your sons tape messages and sketches to your bedroom walls, too? Mine are always leaving little paper notes and gifts up on the wall nearest where I sleep, with long strips of Scotch tape.

Dancingirl said...

This was so fun!! I loved seeing the inside of your home. It's immaculate (which I expected) and lovely, even though I know it's frustratingly small and old. Where do you store things? I need to go back and look for cupboards and closets!

Carrie said...

I really enjoyed the tour. You've done a great job with a small space. It's beautiful. I can't figure out how you keep it so open and tidy looking. I know that's the key to sanity with tight spaces. I have a bit more space than you do, but I can't seem to keep the clutter down.

Old Dominion Heather said...

Hey! I have that IKIA table! We love ours, too although we went with the dark finish and not it has gouges that are white. I keep coloring them in with black permanent marker, but it somehow isn't as permanent as I would like.

Core Foundations said...

Oooh, we have a 1924 house! I completely know what you mean about SO many things! (Actually, I think you listed all of them, but gas lines.)

Oh, and your kitchen? Luxurious compared to mine! Yep. . .So, if your's is the size of a postage stamp that makes mine? (to depressing to think about)

SUSAN said...

Loved seeing your house. Wish I could visit in person!

Love,
Susan